Friday, March 30, 2012

Cupid's Garden

Cupid's Garden   8" x 8"   $250 Framed

Have you ever really looked at bleeding heart flowers? Most people stop at "Isn't it cute that they are heart-shaped?". They are the strangest flowers! Totally sensual and definitely worth a closer look. I wonder if Georgia O'Keefe ever painted them?

I'm thinking of this little group of 8" x 8" paintings as my "Arrietty" series. If you saw the recent movie by Studio Ghibli, you know just what I mean. I love the viewpoint of the borrowers, like being a little bug in the garden.

I saw this quote by Dr. Kendyl Gibbons this morning on the website of a fantastic watercolor artist named Cathy Hillegas :

The miraculous is all around us. Treasures lie at our feet, bend in the wind above our heads, and unfurl on stems at our kneecaps. Usually, we walk right by without seeing them. Every painting is an attempt to say, “Stop! Look at this. No, really. Take a minute and just look at this!”

No comments: