Monday, December 16, 2013

The Light Shines in the Darkness

"The Light Shines in the Darkness"  8" x 8"  $225 Framed  

I am a huge fan of the work of local artist Angela Bandurka. Her acrylic paintings have such beautiful rich color and such a luminous glow in them! I saw a beautiful painting of hers called "Glow" this fall and I wondered if I could capture a similar glow in watercolor. I pulled some old candles out of the cupboard, cut some Nandina berries from my garden, and took hundreds of photos, trying to capture just the right light. Then in the watercolor, I did my best to layer the clearest possible reds and yellows and set them against the darkest possible darks. 

The darkness this time of year can be really tough. I'm always counting down the days until the winter solstice passes and the days start to lengthen again. (Only 6 days left now!) The cold is difficult for me too, and I loved the chance to paint this candle flame and revel in its warmth! 

At Christmas, we celebrate how Christ, the Light of the World, came and darkness fled! The title of this painting is taken from a Bible verse, John 1:5: "The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it". What great hope we have in that! 

Merry Christmas to you and all those you love!

This painting is at Caffe Zingaro, 127 Mercer Street in Seattle through the end of December.





No comments: