Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Fern in Snow

"Fern in Snow"  11"x 14"  $475 Framed

I am so glad to finally be able to share my new winter watercolors with you! I've been painting like a fiend for the last couple months in preparation for the new show at Caffe Zingaro

This painting is another one from my garden. I have always had a real affection for ferns. I grow at least a dozen different ferns in my garden, including a couple huge Tasmanian tree ferns and a monster-sized Australia fern! This painting is a sword fern (polystichum munitum), one the most common woodland plants in the Northwest US. Drought-tolerant, happy in the shade, evergreen even in the mountains even under the snow, this fern is indestructible. Sword ferns often grow in the most pleasing spiral shapes. I loved how the dusting of snow accentuated the patterns in the long elegant fronds of this fern. 

If you'd like to see this painting in person, it will be on display at Caffe Zingaro at 127 Mercer Street in Seattle through the month of December. Stop in for a nice cup of coffee while you are enjoying holiday performances in or around Seattle Center!

No comments: