Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Encased in Ice

Happy New Year everyone! I did this painting before the Christmas break and am just now getting the chance to put it into my blog. Yes, it's another Japanese maple! I thought you might enjoy the process used to create the painting, so I took photos along the way.

I began with the pencil drawing, then added masking fluid to preserve the branches. (The cream-colored areas are the masking fluid.)



The background was done first, wet watercolor onto wet paper. It's so much fun to just let the colors run together! After the background dried, the masking fluid was removed. 

Now the hard work began with the details. Some of the ice is transparent, some of it is foggy white, and some of the ice has reflections.
















I really like the warm red and yellow-green tips of the branches trapped in the ice and set against the cold icy background. The color shows the life still inside the barren branches and gives me hope for the spring.

I am so pleased that the winter solstice and the darkest days are past now. I know it's still January, but if I look carefully, I can see signs, like those little red branch tips that promise me spring will come!








"Encased in Ice"  9.5" x 16"   $475 Framed

























No comments: